Saturday, July 25, 2009

My reply to TTSH's reply on H1N1 issue

Original thread to TTSH Patient Services:

Hi,
I am writing with respect to my A&E bill for H1N1 screening.
The background of this was that I contacted a friend (let's call her A) who had direct contact with 4 confirmed H1N1 cases on 21 Jun 09. We were at a dance competition on that day and I only got to know of this at night. After watching a movie, I developed a bad cough, and together with another friend (let's call him B) who had the same symptoms, I got worried that we both might have contracted H1N1.
After much pondering, I decided to be socially responsible and go to Tan Tock Seng for a check up. I also convinced my friend, who was going overseas in a few days to go check. This was despite my having to work the next day and that he didn't want to waste his money on a holiday if he were to be tested positive for H1N1.
At the hospital, the nurses who attended to us were in a flurry, and it seemed that they were at a loss as to what to do. After some time, our temperatures got checked and then we were registered to see the doctor.
We waited for over an hour before we were seen. During the course of my consultation with the doctor, I repeated and stressed my need to get H1N1 screening as I was coughing badly and could even taste some blood in my throat. However, as the doctor mentioned that, as I didn't have direct contact with the confirmed cases, I would not be screened.
My primary reason to come to A&E at TTSH was for a H1N1 screening.
I am now trying to figure out why if I didn't get such a screening, should I pay for the A&E fee?
I think it is not right to 'punish' a socially responsible citizen, especially in light of those H1N1 cases that ran about doing their own errands, watching movies, going clubbing and MOH "publicly shaming" such behaviour.
I would also like to highlight that your hospital did not make it clear that non-direct contacts of H1N1 cases will not be screened. If it were the case, I would not have wasted my time, as well as my friends', to have continued waiting for more than 1hour (and sacrifice my sleep in the process) and at 1am!
Previously over the course of the past few weeks, I have called up your billing hotline, but was rejected for such a waiver twice. I am disappointed that your replies have been standard ones that A&E charges are standard charges.
I hope you can look into this and revert soonest.
Looking forward to a satisfactory reply.
Thanks.
Regards,
Clarence

=========


From: "*****@ttsh.com.sg"
To: *****@yahoo.co.uk
Cc: Patients_Relations_Services@ttsh.com.sg
Sent: Thursday, 23 July, 2009 9:47:53
Subject: Reply


XXXX/xxx/xx

Mr Clarence
Via e-mail
(*my email*)


Dear Mr Clarence

Thank you for your email on 22 Jul 09. I appreciate that you have come forward for H1N1 screening as part of good social responsibility.

We seek your understanding that in view of the situation at that point in time, our Hospital performed tests in a judicious manner on patients who displayed flu symptoms. Our doctor had assessed your condition and history taking during your visit and as you were not at risk of H1N1infection, a swab test was not required. As medical care was rendered accordingly, we regret that we are unable to waive the Emergency Department (ED) fee of $85.

Should you require other assistance, please contact me at 6357 2510.

Yours sincerely

XXX YYY (Ms)
Patients Relations Services
Tan Tock Seng Hospital
DID: 6357 2510
Fax: 6352 4436




=================


Hi Ms Chang,

I think you must be mistaken.

What the doctor did was just to ask a few questions about my status.
1. Was I in direct contact with H1N1 cases? - No
2. Was the person who I contacted that had contact with these H1N1 cases showing any symptoms of H1N1? - No
From these questions put to me, the doctor evaluated and said that I didn't qualify for any H1N1 screening.

The million dollar question here is, can these above-mentioned questions NOT be asked by the nurses or any orderly at the "welcome station"?
Must I really pay $85 to get asked by a doctor to evaluate on these "tough" questions?

I take issue with the fact that TTSH did not put up signage that non-direct contact H1N1 suspect cases will not be screened. Since it is so straightforward, your hospital should have put up signs, or got the nurses to do the pre-evaluation, so that I could have went home to sleep. I waited for more than 1 hour in vain!

I strongly refuse to acknowledge any form of help that TTSH rendered in this whole process. I told the doctor on duty and the nurse at the cashier that I didn't want the MC or the medicine - please NOTE this.
In fact, I wish to state for the record that I wasted my petrol driving to TTSH, and also that your nurses should have been more properly educated.
I am disappointed that TTSH, being at the epicentre of the H1N1 saga, has no proper process to inform to-be patients of what to expect. I hope this is not how your hospital generates revenue for itself.

Regards,
Clarence

P.S.: I don't have issue with the money to be paid. It is the whole principle of NOT paying for something which I didn't get.
I didn't come down to your hospital in the middle of the night to get cough medicine!
If u want me to pay, please convince me that I did get some service.



Postnote: TTSH is now offering to waive charges.

4 comments:

GMG said...

Hi Clarence!! Great to have news friom you at to know that A1N1 has not affected you... Something different seems to have happened with TTSH; they infect... ;))
85 SDollars seem to be enough for a fair couple of drinks... Let's go to Raffles!! ;)

Lalalalala said...

haha GMG, guess u are still quite humorous.
if u come over to SG, drop me an email well in advance, and maybe we could really meet for drinks :)

Anonymous said...

B: I hope things work out soon!

urgent Finance said...

Do you need a Loan?
Are you looking for Finance?
Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business?
I think you have come to the right place.
We offer Loans at low interest rate.
Interested people should please contact us on
For immediate response to your application, Kindly
reply to this emails below only.
Whats app +918256953815
indiafinace@gmail.com
Please, do provide us with the Following information if interested.

1) Full Name:………
2) Gender:………
3) Loan Amount Needed:………
4) Loan Duration:………
5) Country:………
6) Home Address:………
7) Mobile Number:………
8)Monthly Income:…………………
9)Occupation:………………………
)Which site did you here about us…………………

Thanks and Best Regards.
indiafinace@gmail.com
+918256953815