Thursday, August 9, 2007

Happy National Day Singapore

On this very joyous occasion, I am not in Singapore.

Before I launch into an endless tirade about nothing in particular, three simple words: Happy National Day! Yes, it's once again, 9th August. This is probably the first National Day I'm not on home soil, but I'm guessing it won't be the last. Strangely enough, I am missing home as I write this. More on this later on (or not, we'll see...)

I remember...

In primary, secondary and junior college, where we had to sing the National Anthem and recite the pledge everyday. And of course, when we went to do our NS too. Majulah Singapura!

In the army, where our respect for the flag (both National and the SAF one) was increased because of the almost God-like status. Saluting the flag, ah yes, like we do to officers. Hmm, I vaguely remember we salute officers only cos they carry the Singapura insignia on their shoulders. (Sidetrack: But whatever lah, I hate officers with the yaya papaya attitude.)

I remember the time when I got punished, because I offered to take over my junior's duty of flag-raising (when I was in the army). The flag's tip merely brushed the ground, and a staff sergeant who just woke up and was blurry-eyed, accused me of dropping the WHOLE FLAG on the ground. Needless to say, I“had committed” the worst sin during peacetime (besides AWOL and taking drugs, that is.) It became one of the camp's biggest issues of the day (and no, I had no illusions of grandeur of being one of the most famous then – or should I say, notorious.) For that, I had restriction of privileges (it could have been worse) and my bookouts became more irregular than the number of times a person with constipation went to shit in the toilet. So much for offering to help. Bahhhh.

The first time I was away from Singapore for an extended period of time – my student exchange in Finland. Really tested me a bit, but haha, I didn't really miss home cos I was having too much fun partying away with my ang moh friends. Spent my first New Year, Chinese New Year and Labour Day away from home during that period. Man, I sure missed the ang baos. Hahahahaha.


Now I'm working in China, I miss the familiarity of places that I always visit. Suntec City, where my company's Singapore office is; town, where I meet my friends for lunch; the clubs, where I get to party away with equally crazy friends; the comfort of having TRUE friends around; my uni gym, where I got the most value out of (cos it's "free" and I'm used to the equipment there); Geylang, where I hang out for suppers with friends (sometimes); driving around at night, when the night wind is cool and refreshing; getting lost on streets and turning around in circles, albeit still knowing I'd be safe no matter where I am.

The place I'm in now has lots of shady characters, people of dubious backgrounds, some who are out to look for a quick buck, others who patiently cultivate your trust in them and wait to make a lump sum at your expense, others who belong to some Mafia and whatnot.

Bahhh, the imaginings of my mind. How I wish. Right now, I'm just on alert everywhere I go. Contrast this with back home, where I could be walking on the streets at 2 or 3 am, with nary a care (maybe I'd be careful not to step on snails that occasionally stray onto pavements.)

The culture, the feel, the environment in each place is... just so different. Uniquely Singapore is unique in more ways than one.

Once again to my brothers and sisters in Singapore, and all over the world, let us rejoice on this day and sing the National Anthem with gusto. I won't be joining you guys in person, but in spirit, I'm always with you.


*sob sob* --> (ya right!)


See also: Choo Zheng Xi on TOC - How Do I Love Thee, let me (not) count the ways

2 comments:

Whiskoffee said...

Yeah! Many of us went thru the same s*** in the Army.

I have had an enjoyable National Day yesterday. Hope that you have a great time too. =)

Cheers!

(T) (H) (B) said...

Didn't know u away in sg so long liao...